Saturday, October 25, 2008

Welcome to my Blog

Mabuhay! I created this blog so I have a place to share my thoughts, fears, aggravations, and my joys of being a teacher. I teach high school students. Sometimes it feels like my husband alone is not enough for me to vent to. Don't get me wrong, he's a very supportive and a very good listener but I just feel that he can enjoy just me without that "teacher baggage".

I promise I won't be too over bearing. I will write all that makes my day at school so people who wonder what's happening in my "teacher bubble" will be informed. I also would like to share my experiences and joy of being a teacher to anyone who may want to become one. Warning: some experiences might scare you off too.

I teach in an inner city school where child abuse and neglect is the highest in the state, birth rate for older teens (18 -19) is the 2nd highest in the state and the birth rate for younger teens (15-17) is the 3rd highest in the state, the graduation rate is only 54% compared to the state's 70%, and the free breakfast program for all students are free!

Please don't get me wrong, I am still safe, I love my job, and I not complaining. I just thought it would be nice if you know a little background so you have some idea about what I'm talking about when you read some of my posts in the future. I know that I have a big responsibility for changing the mindset of our young adults. They need to be taught so we'll have better future.

Whew, I miss my class already! tfr

No comments: